Saturday, December 10, 2016 | Bowling Green University, Ohio | Kobacker Hall
Adjudication of the Final Round of our 50th Annual Competition in Composition and Music Performance of the College of Musical Arts at Bowling Green University, Ohio.
A panel of five judges from outside BGSU sat in the center of the hall. Maybe a few more people, friends and fellow musicians, sat toward the back. The stage was starkly lit, and the only company performers had on stage was an accompanist and maybe a page turner for the accompanist.
The performers themselves had no pages to turn, no sheets of music to hide behind. They and their practicing over the past few months stood exposed.
Every year for the last 50 years, Bowling Green State University undergraduate and graduate students have stepped forward to exhibit their musical mastery.
- Dr. William King, clarinet (UM, MOT)
- Dr. Melissa Gerber Knecht, violin (Hillsdale)
- Dr. Anthony Weikel, trombone (OSU DMA, Springfield Symphony)
- Dr. Brad Blackham, piano (Hillsdale)
- Dr. Minnita Daniel-Cox, soprano (U Dayton)
- Dr. Dimitri Papageorgiou, compositon (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece)
Congratulations to the winners of the 50th Competition in Music Performance!
- COMPOSITION division: Daniel Bayot, “The Philosophy of Wood”
- UNDERGRADUATE division: Stephen Dubetz, clarinet; Michelle Whitmore, flute; honorable mention, Samantha Tartamella, flute
- GRADUATE division: Kenneth Cox, flute; Peisi Luo, piano; honorable mention, Aldulfulyne Padmore, flute
- Virginia Marks Collaborative Pianist Award winner: Jonathan Brian Guelfand
The four competition winners will perform their pieces with the Bowling Green Philharmonia at a Feb 25 concert in Kobacker.