Saturday, December 10, 2016 | Bowling Green University, Ohio | Kobacker Hall
Adjudication of the Final Round of our 50th Annual Competition in Composition and Music Performance of the College of Musical Arts at Bowling Green University, Ohio.
A panel of five judges from outside BGSU sat in the center of the hall. Maybe a few more people, friends and fellow musicians, sat toward the back. The stage was starkly lit, and the only company performers had on stage was an accompanist and maybe a page turner for the accompanist.
The performers themselves had no pages to turn, no sheets of music to hide behind. They and their practicing over the past few months stood exposed.
Every year for the last 50 years, Bowling Green State University undergraduate and graduate students have stepped forward to exhibit their musical mastery.
- Dr. William King, clarinet (UM, MOT)
- Dr. Melissa Gerber Knecht, violin (Hillsdale)
- Dr. Anthony Weikel, trombone (OSU DMA, Springfield Symphony)
- Dr. Brad Blackham, piano (Hillsdale)
- Dr. Minnita Daniel-Cox, soprano (U Dayton)
- Dr. Dimitri Papageorgiou, compositon (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece)
Congratulations to the winners of the 50th Competition in Music Performance!
- COMPOSITION division: Daniel Bayot, “The Philosophy of Wood”
- UNDERGRADUATE division: Stephen Dubetz, clarinet; Michelle Whitmore, flute; honorable mention, Samantha Tartamella, flute
- GRADUATE division: Kenneth Cox, flute; Peisi Luo, piano; honorable mention, Aldulfulyne Padmore, flute
- Virginia Marks Collaborative Pianist Award winner: Jonathan Brian Guelfand
The four competition winners will perform their pieces with the Bowling Green Philharmonia at a Feb 25 concert in Kobacker.
Tuesday, December 6, 2016 | 7:30 PM | Rotunda in the IGT Knowledge Cent
An Evening of New Music
Papageorgiou, Perrotte, Caplovi
Performances by: UNR Contemporary Music Ensemble, Eric Fassbender, John Etsell, EEG and Computer.
Free; all are welcome.
Monday Dec. 5:
20:24 Arrival at RNO on UA296
Tuesday Dec. 6:
- 9:00 – 10:00am Rehearsal in CFA 112
- noon – 1:00 Lunch
- 1:00 – 1:30pm Masterclass CFA 111 (John Etsall Piano)
- 1:30 – 2:00pm Masterclass CFA 111 (Bette Phillips)
- 2:00 – 2:50pm Masterclass CFA 134 (Kira Meade)
- 4:00 – 5:30pm Sushi w/ Gideon
- 6:00 – 7:30pm set up the Rotunda
7:30 – 8:30 Concert at Rotunda in the IGT Knowledge Cent
Wednesday Dec. 7
- 9:00 – 10:00am Dr. Davis Theory class CFA 134. Presentation of music of the new generation of Greek composers: Stylianos Dimou and Zesses Seglias
- 11:00 – 12:00pm Dr. Perrotte’s Theory class CFA 134. Interlocking and the reconstructive nature of memory. Presentation of my compositional techniques in my works In the Vestige of the Present
- 12:00 – 1:00 Lunch
- 2:00 – 4:00pm Dr. Perrotte’s Electronic Music class CFA 206. Presentation of my algorithmic compositional techniques
Thursday Dec. 8
- 11:30 – 12:20pm Masterclass CFA 111 (Jeff DePaoli)
- 12:30 – 1:30 Lunch
- 1:30 – 2:20pm Masterclass CFA 111 (Brandon Dodge)
- 2:00 – 2:50pm Masterclass CFA 111 (Still Open)
- 3:00 – 3:50pm Masterclass CFA 111 (Tim Chatwood)
- 4:00 – 4:50pm Masterclass CFA 134 (Erik Flury)
Guest composer at the University of Iowa, School of Music, 29/11/2016 – 04/12/2016
It was a great pleasure and a great honor to have been invited by the School of Music of the campus of the University of Iowa, as guest composer, for a series of events and master classes. During the past week (29/11/2016 – 04/12/2016), I have met for individual lessons with master and doctorate students of the composition program, presented my music at the Composers’ Seminar, rehearsed with the ensemble of the Center for New Music, and met with old and new friends.
I was glad to experience firsthand that the composition program, as well as the level of performance, have grown since the time I was a Ph.D. student here and I am in awe with the brand new, state of the art, Voxman Music Building (photos above), which was delivered in September of this year and is located right in the heart of downtown Iowa City.
Tonight, Sunday, December 4th, my short residency at Iowa is coming to a closure with the concert of the Center for New Music with David Gompper on the podium, featuring two of my compositions, as well as two compositions by Erin Gee, and works by John Berners and David Lang.
John BERNERS. Divertimento (2008) for oboe, trombone and double bass
Courtney Miller, oboe; Dave Gier, trombone; Volkan Orhon, double bass
Erin GEE. Mouthpiece: Segment of the 4th Letter (2007)
Dimitri PAPAGEORGIOU, “In pulses, in strokes…” (2012)
Anya Egense, flute; Christine Burke, bass clarinet; Nicha Pimthong, piano; Benjamin; Yancey and Shelby Carney, percussion; Josh Palazzolo, violin; Matthew Laughlin, violoncello; David Gompper, conductor
— Intermission —
David LANG. Scraping Song
Ben Yancey, percussion
Erin GEE, Mouthpiece XIXc (2016)
Amanda DeBoer, soprano; Jeiran Hasan, alto flute; Elizabeth Fleissner, oboe; Christine Burke, bass clarinet; Christine Augspurger, percussion; Jenna Ferdon, violin; Matthew Laughlin, violoncello; David Gompper, conductor
Dimitri PAPAGEORGIOU, Iriai no kane (2007) for chamber orchestra
Laura Canelo Cohen, flute; Elizabeth Fleissner, oboe; Thiago Ancelmo De Souza, clarinet; Alex Widstrand, bassoon; Ethan Brozka, horn; John Kenneth Gorder, trumpet;
Robert Parker, trombone; Christine Augsburger and Peter Naughton, percussion; Leonardo Perez and Josh Palazzolo, violins; Elizabeth Upson, viola; Matthew Laughlin, violoncello; Nick Bowes, double bass; David Gompper, conductor
Program booklet: som20161204a